ARBOR DAY FAMILY FESTIVAL AT PLANTING FIELDS ARBORETUM STATE HISTORIC PARK
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation and the Planting Fields Foundation are pleased to announce that the 28th annual Arbor Day Family Festival is taking place at Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park, Oyster Bay, New York on Saturday, April 26, and Sunday, April 27 from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (rain or shine). Since 1987, Planting Fields has commemorated national Arbor Day with a festival of fun-filled educational activities and entertainment. Arbor Day celebrates the importance of trees and the preservation of our environment. The 2014 Arbor DayFamily Festival features new and exciting children’s crafts, activities, tree climbing, mutts gone nuts variety show, plant clinics, and tree plantings with Smokey Bear in which everyone can participate, along with FREE self-guided tours of Coe Hall. The Festival is a collaborative effort between Planting Fields Foundation and the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
- Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary & Audubon Center Wildlife “hands-on” exhibit
- *NEW* Air Brush Tattoos
- Mutts Gone Nuts Variety Show
- Tree planting ceremonies with Smokey Bear
- *NEW* Watercolor Exhibit at the Manor House
- Just One Wheel Unicycle
- Cover Band Peat Moss & the Fertilizers
- Tree seedling giveaways provided by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation – plant a tree of your own at home!
- AJ Photography Fun Photo Booth
- *NEW* Sensory Garden Booth
- Learn About Trees Exhibit
- Green Industry Associations Exhibit
- Tree climbing for children with safety harness, supervised by trained professionals from Wonderland Tree Care, Inc.
- *NEW* Tea House Open with Live Music & Steel Drummer in Main Greenhouse
- Musical Performances by Strummin’ and Drummin’
- Children’s Crafts, Face-painting and Caricaturists
- *NEW* Stilt walkers
- Plant Clinic by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Nassau County
· Miniature garden railroad exhibit presented by the Long Island Garden Railway Association and The Plant Station.
· Long Island Bonsai Society Exhibition in the South Lounge
· Fabulous interiors by Elsie De Wolfe and Charles Duveen
· Watercolors Exhibit at the Manor House
Island Harvest will collect canned food items for Long Islanders in need. Anyone who donates canned goods will receive a 10% discount at the Planting Fields Gift Shop located in the Hay Barn/Visitor’s Center
Admission to the Arbor Day Family Festival is $20 per vehicle. Once you enter the park, all activities, tree climb for kids, exhibits, and shows are FREE. All proceeds benefit Planting Fields. For more information, call (516) 922-8676 or (516) 922-8678, or visit www.plantingfields.org.
A special thanks to our sponsors of the Arbor Day Family Festival: Anton Community Newspapers, KJOY, Macomea Design, Martin Viette Nurseries, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation/Natural Heritage Trust, and Wonderland Tree Care, Inc.
HOURS & INFORMATION
9:00 am - 5:00 pm daily
$8 per car until Nov, 18th
COE HALL HOURS:
Self-Guided Visits to Coe Hall
11:30 am - 3:30 pm 3/29 - 9/30 daily
October Weekends only
Members & Children under 12 are free